International shipping
International removals and shipping Call us today on 01392 833 200
UK Thailand Removals
UK to Thailand International Removals
"Moving people and businesses worldwide."

UK International Shipping


International Removals Thailand
Thailand Country Information

Customs Clearance for Thailand

Returning Thai residents who have been abroad for one year or longer, for the purposes other than touring are eligible to bring in household effects acquired abroad free of taxes and duties. In addition, non residents changing their residence to Thailand may import the household effects subject to the conditions stated below without payment of import taxes duties.

The term “household effects” includes all goods which are normally necessary to equip a self-contained home e.g. furniture, carpets, books, musical instruments, paintings, tableware, stereos, linens, and similar household furnishings, etc.
To be eligible for tax and duty free allowance, the importers are required to have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before they return to Thailand to resume residence.

It is important that the importers meet the three requirements of ownership, possession, and use. For example, if they owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods would be subject to regular taxes and duties.

Personal effects accompanied with the owner traveling into or out of Thailand, including any goods used or will be used commercially are not eligible as household effects cannot brought in tax and duty free as the household effects
NOTE: Motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and tobacco are excluded from this rebate.

Requirements for Duty Free Allowance
Both Thai and non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/second-hand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties. It is also required that the imported used/ second-hand household effects have been owned, possessed, and used in the country where the importers resided before returning to Thailand to resume residence.

In case where the household effects are electrical appliances e.g. radios, televisions, refrigerators, microwaves, ovens, air conditioners, etc., only ONE unit each of such items is eligible for tax and duty free allowance. However, if it is the family change of residence, TWO units each of the items will be allowed to bring in tax and duty free. Any excess unit shall be subject to regular taxes and duties, and Customs will place the items that have the lowest rate of duty under tax and duty exemption.

It is important that the used/second-hand household effects must be imported not earlier than one month before or not later than six months after the arrival of the importers. Under exceptional circumstances, Customs may extend the time limits for the importers.

Requirements for Changing of Residence:

  • Non-residents: Non-residents may import the used/second-hand household effects acquired abroad tax and duty free if such household effects accompanied them in the change of residence and they are qualified under the requirements listed below:

    1. Non-residents resuming residents in Thailand must be granted a non-immigrant quota as shown in a passport or a Non-resident Identification Card; or

    2. Non-residents granted to work in Thailand will be regarded as resuming residents in Thailand provided they have a one-year non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Department. In case where the non-immigrant visa has not yet been granted, either of the following documents may be accepted:

      (2.1) The letter from the Immigration Department certifying that the non-residents shall be granted an annual temporary stay in Thailand;


      (2.2) The work permit from the Department of Labour to work in Thailand for at least one year.
    1. Non-residents entering Thailand as an expert, specialist, or under a contract of government agencies are required to present the letter from relevant agencies certifying that such non-residents are granted a non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Department and shall work in Thailand not less than one year.

Accompanying spouses of the non-residents in (2) and (3) will be regarded as resuming residence in Thailand provided the spouses have non-immigrant visas issued by the Immigration Department to stay in Thailand for the first 90 days.

Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for (1)

  • Thai Residents: Thai residents may import the second-hand/used household effects acquired abroad duty-free if such household effects are accompanied them in the change of residence and they are qualified under the criteria listed below:

    1. Thai residents or government officials work or carry out a working visit abroad for at least one year. In case where the Thai residents/government officials must return to Thailand before one year, evidence showing that the return is caused by the termination of contracts, reshuffle of positions, or early termination of working visits, is required.

    2. Thai residents working abroad under other reasons than those indicated in (1) are required to undertake a commitment that they shall return to Thailand to resume residence.

      3.Thai students, government officials study abroad for at least one year.


  • An Import Declaration Form (Customs Form No99/1);
  • A passport;
  • Non-residents are required to submit the following documents:

    1. The letter issued by the Immigration Department confirming that an annual temporary stay is granted;

    2. A one-year (or more) work permit issued by the Department of Labour;

    3. The letter from a relevant government agency confirming that a non-immigrant visa from the Immigration Department is granted and that working period in Thailand is not less than 1 year, for those entering Thailand as an expert, specialist, or under government contracts;
  • Thai Residents are required to submit an evidence of changing residence e.g.
    a transcript, reshuffle of positions, termination of employment contract, etc.;
  • A Bill of Lading or air waybill;
  • A Foreign Transaction Form if the CIF value exceeding 500,000 Baht;
  • An invoice (if any);
  • A Delivery Order;
  • A packing list or sale documents (if any);
  • A permit in case of restricted goods;
  • An application for taxes and duty free allowance; and
Other documents e.g. a letter of authorisation (if any).

International Removals & Shipping
Country List
Customs Information
Moving Tips
Import / Trade Import
Get a Quote

Air Freight
Road Transport
Sea Freight
Full Container Loads
Less than Full Container Loads
Groupage - Part Loads
Container Options
Marine Liability

European Removals

Commercial Moving
Crate Hire
Office relocations
Employee - Personnel relocations
Machinery Equipment
Liability Cover
UK Removals

About Us

Blatchford's International Removals & Storage

Unit 2, Peamore Commercial Centre, Alphington, Exeter, Devon. EX2 9SL | Tel: 01392 833 200 | Fax: 01392 833 889
Blatchfords International is a trading name of BK Moving & Storage Ltd - Registered in England No. 5495551
BAR Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) SchemeĀ 
  Website Design and Marketing | Vector7 Ltd